Fantastic food will be at the heart of the Galloway Country Fair with everything from cookery demonstrations and tastings to a bake off contest.
One of the highlights of the event, which takes place at Drumlanrig Castle on 20-21 August, will be the chance to join Nick Morris of The Station House Cookery School for any of four fantastic demos.
There will also be a food and drink marquee with an array of stalls selling everything from fine cheese, fudge, pies and cheesecakes to die for through to artisan beers, craft gin, whiskies and cocktails.
The Crafty Distillery will also do a Cocktail demo each day.
Then there will a Ready Steady Cook competition featuring students from Wallace Academy on both days.
As if that wasn’t enough there will be a whole series of catering stands serving everything from speciality burgers to delicious donuts and fine coffees.
Nick, who is based in Kirkcudright, said: “I’m really looking forward to the fair and the chance to show people how to make the favourites dishes from the cookery.
“They are real crowd pleasers, and from all over the world, that are ideal for the home cook as you don’t need any specialist equipment and can get all the ingredients you need locally.
“The idea is that once you’ve watched me make the meals, and tasted them, you can head home and make them yourself.”
Nick will be showing how to create:
- Hot smoked salmon and pickle
- Tarka dahl, roasted vegetable curry and basmati
- Tabbouleh and humus with pitta bread
- Thai green curry and sticky rice
But the food and drink are just one part of what’s on offer. The entertainment includes performing pigs, fence leaping sheep, beautiful birds of prey and dogs of all kinds.
These are courtesy of The Hogg Show and the Lamb National – which sees a small flock of Herdwick sheep, with teddy bear jockeys (and names like Ed Sheerin), gallop round a circuit, taking jumps along the way.
There is also a pet show, gundog scurry and retriever and spaniel tests.
And there will be the fabulous Kids’ Fun Zone where many activities are free. There will be field sports – from angling to clay pigeon shooting – to watch and to try.
Galloway Country Fair, sponsored by Lloyd Ltd, will be a brilliant family day out celebrating rural life, with the excellent main ring entertainment, local food and drink and crafts, free kids entertainment, come and try field sports and this year it is collaborating with Land Rover meet-up DefenderJam.
- Book tickets at www.gallowaycountryfair.co.uk
- Visit www.gallowaycountryfair.co.uk for further information and keep up to date with the latest news, or check out @GallowayCountryFair on Facebook and Instagram.
Notes for editors
To make the most of the event visitors can incorporate it into a short break. Drumlanrig offers deluxe self-catering properties, or there is the option of camping with pitches available for a one, two or three-night stay. Water, portable toilets and showers are all available on-site and dogs are welcome.
Discover the self-catering accommodation at www.drumlanrigcastle.co.uk, book online for camping at gallowaycountryfair.co.uk.
- Adult £13
- Concession (over 60) £10
- Child (6-16) £5
- Dates: Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st August 2022
- Times: Saturday – 10am-6pm, Sunday – 10am-5pm.
- Location: Showground at Drumlanrig Castle & Country Estate, Thornhill, Dumfries & Galloway, DG3 4AQ.
- Website: www.gallowaycountryfair.co.uk
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/gallowaycountryfair/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gallowaycountryfair/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/GCF_Drumlanrig
Galloway Country Fair is sponsored by Lloyd Ltd Home – Lloyd Ltd.
For media information about Galloway Country Fair contact Matthew Shelley – Matthew@Scottishfestivalspr.org or 07786 704299