Thirty artisan food and drink producers, artists and craft makers from Dumfries & Galloway, and beyond, will take part in this weekend’s annual Spring Kist.
Normally held in Wigtown’s magnificent County Buildings, Covid-19 restrictions have meant that it is having to migrate to the internet.
The plus side is that people can enjoy this very special online showcase no matter where they are in the world. They will be able to meet the makers and producers, take virtual tours, see demonstrations and order anything that takes their fancy.
Claire Nash, Manager of Wigtown Festival Company which has organised the event, said: “We were disappointed not to be able to hold the Spring Kist in its usual format, but really wanted to show our support for the local businesses that usually take part.
“An online showcase seemed the obvious way to go and we are delighted that so many businesses were enthusiastic about taking part.
“Making the event digital will be a new experience for The Kist and the exhibitors – we look forward to welcoming virtual visitors from all over the world and it’s something we hope to build on in the future.”
The Spring Kist takes place on 2 and 3 May from 10am to 4pm – see the Facebook page at www.facebook.com/TheKistWigtown for full details.
Among the digital Kist participants will be The Galloway Fudge Company, KGR Glass Design, natural yarn producers Quirky Paintbrush, Copeland Walker Art, Solway Silver, Machars Memories photographers and Drakelaw Pottery.
They will be joined by:
- The Jam Garden – fruit growers and makers of luxury small batch jams and preserves
- Toadstool Tots – designers and makers of bespoke, traditional-style children’s and baby clothes
- Farm Boy Brews – purveyors of superb coffee that does some good in the world
- Ninefold Distillery – producers of premium handmade Scottish rum
- Hare and Boathouse Creations – handmade bags, purses and accessories including fabrics such as Harris Tweed.
- Linda Irving – a felt artist who uses fibre to create wonderful land and seascapes inspired by the Mull of Galloway.
Others taking part are Bine Designs, Puffin Patchworks, The Butterfly and Toadstool, Roo Waterhouse Art, Scottish Art Scapes, Emily’s Designs, The Wee Shade Shop, Five Kingdoms Brewery, Co Co Co, KB & Co., Keepsakes by KT, Fountain Stone, Lambleys, Selkirk Distillers, Shabby & Pretty, Life is a Beach 33 and Little Dot Creations
Adrian Turpin, Wigtown Festival Company Artistic Director, added: “At this time it’s more important than ever to be supporting local and small businesses, many of whom are facing immense challenges. We hope people will take this opportunity and support some of our food and craft heroes who have supported the festival so well in the past.”
For information about these and the others taking part take a look at the Facebook page.
– Ends –
About Wigtown Festival Company
- Wigtown Festival Company runs the annual Wigtown Book Festival plus a series of other annual literature-related events and projects.
- For more about Wigtown Festival Company go to wigtownbookfestival.com.
For further information and interview requests contact Matthew Shelley on 07786 704299 or [email protected]
Wigtown Festival Company Ltd, 11 North Main Street, Wigtown, Dumfries & Galloway, Scotland, UK, DG8 9HN © 1999 – 2018. Wigtown Festival Company Ltd is a company limited by guarantee with charitable status. Scottish Charity No. SCO37984.