Wigtown Book Festival has been named as Scotland’s top cultural event of the year just as preparations get underway for the 20thannual event.
The award was given as part of the Scottish Cultural Awards, described as the country’s Oscars, with the winners being announced at a major event in Glasgow last Thursday night.
The awards are organised by the Sunday Herald in association with Edinburgh Napier University.
Other winners on the night included James McAvoy (Best Film Actor), Bernard MacLaverty (Best Writer), Peter Capaldi (Best TV Actor) and Neve McIntosh (Best Theatre Actor).
Wigtown Book Festival was chosen because it “really went beyond expectations to deliver a life altering experience to its audience”.
Adrian Turpin, artistic director of the Wigtown Book Festival, said:“It’s great to have this recognition just as we get ready for September’s 20thfestival.
“The years have seen it grow into a much loved part of Scotland’s cultural calendar which audiences love to return to time and time again because it offers such a brilliant chance to hear superb national and international writers in a welcoming atmosphere, all set in one of the country’s most beautiful regions.”
The festival has welcomed audiences of more than 220,000 and last year it generated an estimated £3 million for the regional economy.
The Wigtown Festival Company is now expanding its operations to offer a year-round programme of high quality literature related events.
- The festival programme will be unveiled at the beginning of August and you can subscribe to receive the programme atcom
– Ends –
Notes for editors
- For more about the results see http://newsquestscotlandevents.com/events/cultureawards-2/
- For festival information see http://www.wigtownbookfestival.com
- EventScotland is working to make Scotland the perfect stage for events. By developing an exciting portfolio of sporting and cultural events EventScotland is helping to raise Scotland’s international profile and boost the economy by attracting more visitors. For further information about EventScotland, its funding programmes and latest event news visit EventScotland.org. Follow EventScotland on Twitter @EventScotNews.
- EventScotland is a team within the VisitScotland Events Directorate, the national tourism organisation which markets Scotland as a tourism destination across the world, gives support to the tourism industry and brings sustainable tourism growth to Scotland. For more information about VisitScotland see visitscotland.orgor for consumer information on Scotland as a visitor destination see www.visitscotland.com.
About Creative Scotland
- Creative Scotland is the public body that supports the arts, screen and creative industries across all parts of Scotland on behalf of everyone who lives, works or visits here. It enables people and organisations to work in and experience the arts, screen and creative industries in Scotland by helping others to develop great ideas and bring them to life. It distributes funding provided by the Scottish Government and the National Lottery.
- For further information about Creative Scotland please visitcreativescotland.com.
- Follow Creative Scotland @creativescots andfacebook.com/CreativeScotland
For further information and interview requests contact Matthew Shelley on 07786 704299 or Matthew@ScottishFestivalsPR.Org
Wigtown Festival Company Ltd, 11 North Main Street, Wigtown, Dumfries & Galloway, Scotland, UK, DG8 9HN © 1999 – 2018. Wigtown Festival Company Ltd is a company limited by guarantee with charitable status. Scottish Charity No. SCO37984